Exchange rate cannot be changed as changing the posting date during logistics invoice verification
- The exchange rate cannot be changed as changing the posting date in T-code MIRO.
- The translation date cannot be updated automatically as changing the posting date in T-code MIRO.
- Unexpected exchange rate and translation date is used in the accounting document, which causes an unexpected amount in foreign currency.
- Materials Management (MM)
- SAP R/3
- SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.7
- SAP ERP Core Component
- SAP ERP
- SAP enhancement package for SAP ERP
- SAP enhancement package for SAP ERP, version for SAP HANA
- SAP S/4 HANA
Reproducing the Issue
The exchange rate is neither fixed in the purchase order nor entered manually in the invoice document header, the system determines the exchange rate pre-defined in the customizing of financial accounting (T-code OB08) valid for the posting date.
- Execute T-code MIRO and enter the necessary parameters in the header level, e. g. the posting date.
- Enter the purchase order reference in the item level.
- Change the posting date.
- The exchange rate is not changed.
- After posting the invoice, the translation date of the FI document is same as the original posting date, not the changed posting date. Therefore it causes unexpected amount in foreign currency.
For a parked invoice that including purchase order reference in the item level, if changing the posting date with using T-code MIR7, the same issue will occur.
This is standard system behavior.
In SAP standard, the system determines the exchange rate based on the posting date. As long as no purchase order reference is entered, a change of the posting date triggers new determination of the exchange rate. After entering a purchase order as reference, the currency key and the exchange rate fields are fixed, the exchange rate in the invoice document header can not be changed although the posting date is changed.
After entering the purchase order as reference, the exchange rate of the invoice header is used in several different function modules e. g. for the amount proposal, for internal calculation values, for the tax calculation in FI side, etc. The current system design ensures that all purchase order related data is converted with the correct exchange rate.
Also the determination of exchange rate is using the translation date field. This field is not displayed in the screen of MIRO and system derives this value from the posting date. Therefore, as above, once purchase order reference is entered, the translation date cannot be changed although the posting date is changed.
Due to the standard restriction, please make sure that you enter the correct posting date at the beginning of the invoice creation.
In case it is necessary to change the posting date after entering the purchase order reference, you can operate as below:
- Remove the purchase order reference and continue hitting ‘ENTER’ to get over all the messages until all invoice items are removed.
-> Now the currency data and the exchange rate are removed.
- Enter the currency in the header.
- Change the posting date.
-> Now it should have the posting date-based exchange rate.
- Enter the purchase order again.
In case it is necessary to change the posting date for a parked invoice that including purchase order reference, you have to do the same way as well.
Please note that:
After entering the purchase order reference, the exchange rate is fixed. When you change the posting date, no warning message will be issued since the system regards it as your conscious action.
As the best practice, to avoid unexpected posting of invoice, before posting the invoice, please either check if it is the expected exchange rate in the ‘Details’ Tab, or simulate it first to confirm the amount in foreign currency instead of posting it directly.
SAP Note 396051 FAQ: Parking in the logistics invoice verification
BUDAT, WWERT, KURSF, value date, conversion date, SAPLFDCB, SAPLMR1M, exchange rate, MIR7, Parked invoice